There is plenty for trade unions to support in our Manifesto. So please help us to spread the word and build support within your union.
Below is a model motion that we are asking you to propose to your union branch.
You can use it exactly as it is or change it to suit your union.
If you would like any advice on how to submit a motion, please contact Janine Booth email@example.com. Please also let Janine know when your branch passes the motion. Thank you.
Labour Party Autism / Neurodiversity Manifesto
THIS UNION NOTES THAT:
1. the population, the workforce and our movement are neurologically diverse – people have different ‘brain wiring’ or structure
2. autistic, dyslexic, dyspraxic, ADHD and other neurodivergent people experience systematic disadvantage and discrimination in our society, including in employment
3. only 16% of autistic adults are in full-time employment; other neurodivergent groups also have low employment outcomes
THIS UNION DEMANDS urgent and effective measures to address this systematic discrimination.
THIS UNION WELCOMES the drafting of a Labour Party Manifesto on Autism and Neurodiversity by a neurodiverse group of labour movement activists, and the opportunity to contribute to this. We congratulate John McDonnell MP for his support for this initiative.
THIS UNION RESOLVES TO:
1. provide training for officers, representatives and activists on neurodiversity in the workplace
2. endorse the Manifesto, urge the Labour Party to adopt it in full, and campaign for its policies
3. circulate information about this to branches and members
4. ask the Labour MPs who work with this union to support this Manifesto
5. invite a speaker from Neurodivergent Labour to tell us more about the Manifesto.